Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Classic Hawaiian-style chicken. Great for picnics, kids love this. Do not substitute the Mochiko for other flours...it's the secret ingredient! Cook time does not include time to marinate.
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cleaned and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 tablespoons mochiko sweet rice flour (glutinous rice flour, do not substitute regular flour or regular rice flour)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 7 tablespoons sesame seeds, roasted (use to taste)
- oil (for deep frying)
- Mix all ingredients together (except oil for frying) and marinate overnight.
- Fry in oil until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve.
This made for a well-seasoned chicken, and it quickly disappeared in my house. The flavor for me was a little too strong in soy sauce. Next time I'll try it with a sauce lower in sodium (and better in quality).
Very nice! I used chives instead of green onions, and light soy sauce. I didn't have any hoisin sauce so I omitted it. It seemed like a lot of sesame seeds while I was toasting them, but the amount was fine. Nice light crispy coating and tender chicken.