Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Use any flavoured ice cream for different results!
- 10 scoops ice cream (scoop softened ice cream into round balls, and refreeze till hardened)
- 100 g glutinous-rice flour
- 180 ml water
- 50 g sugar
- cornflour, for dusting
- In a glass bowl, combine glutinous rice flour and water. Mix well to paste, then add sugar and mix till dissolved.
- Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 2 minutes It will be half cooked. Remove and stir well while it is hot.
- Cover and return to microwave for 30 sec. Stir well.
- Place plastic wrap over a chopping board. Flour generously with corn flour (you must do this!).
- Wait for dough to cool down. Divide dough into 10 pieces.
- Flatten it with your palm. Wrap the dough round ice cream and refreeze it in an air tight container.
I agree with the previous reviewer. I think I'm going to give up on this recipe. Maybe I'm just not good at wrapping it around the ice-cream. It melts too fast and I can't seal the mochi- it won't stick after the ice-cream melts. I had to eat right away but that's too much to eat. I had to throw away the rest. Super messy.
I'm sorry but right now, I can't even give it a rating. I had no idea how long it was supposed to cool. I think my ice cream was to soft and the mochi was to hot. It made a mess and I tried to freeze it anyway, but the mochi was hard as a rock. Maybe I will try this again and wait longer until it was cool, but other wise, this just didn't work for me. Sorry.
This recipe is delicious! I just had mochi earlier today at Bubbie's ice cream (which is reknown in the mochi ice cream world), and this recipe definitely rivals it. I used Splenda, which worked really well, and I added two teaspoons of vanilla to the mix after it had been microwaved for 2 minutes. It helps bring out the vanilla flavor, especially if you use vanilla ice cream! I made mine with vanilla ice cream and a fresh strawberry in the middle, and I highly recommend the combo. One note: The dough is VERY sticky. However, the taste is worth the effort! Enjoy!