Recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, cooled
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips, bittersweet chocolate chips or 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Grease and flour thirty 2-1/2-inch muffin cups (or line with paper bake cups). In a medium bowl stir together flour, the 1 cup cocoa powder, the baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a 2-cup glass measuring cup combine milk and coffee. Set aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until combined. Scrape sides of bowl; beat for 2 minutes more. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and milk mixture to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Stir in chocolate pieces.
- 3Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out batter in cups.
- 4Bake about 18 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
- 5Allow butter to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add 1 cup of the powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in the 3 tablespoons brewed coffee and the vanilla. Gradually beat in the remaining powdered sugar. If necessary, beat in additional brewed coffee until buttercream reaches spreading consistency.
- 6Using a pastry bag fitted with a star tip, pipe Coffee Buttercream onto cupcakes. Insert wafers. If desired, dust with additional unsweetened cocoa powder.
Browse Our Top Fillings and Frostings Chocolate Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Fillings and Frostings Chocolate Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mochaccino Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (72 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 246.2
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 37.3 mg
- Sodium 161.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 32.1 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rolled wafer cookies