Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
Your whole family will love this. The kind of cake that makes its own 'frosting'.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon dark rum or 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup hot milk
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped to soft peaks
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
- Butter an 8 inch glass baking dish (square or pie plate).
- Sift dry ingredients into medium bowl.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Combine milk, butter, vanilla and rum in another bowl.
- Pour over flour mixture and stir until just combined (batter will be stiff).
- Spread into prepared baking dish.
- Mix dry topping ingredients together; sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Pour 1 cup hot milk over top (do not stir).
- Put pan in center rack of preheated oven and bake until top is glazed and dark-brown, about 40 minutes.
- Cool atleast 1 hour.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, with whipped cream.
I have to admit, I just couldn't manage to let this sit for the required hour after baking...it was just beckoning to me! :) This is my new favorite pudding cake, and it couldn't be any easier to make. I used bourbon instead of rum (I love bourbon and chocolate together); I could actually taste it in the finished cake. Yum! Thanks for the recipe.