Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious with your morning cup of coffee.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup very strong black coffee
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F Lightly grease 18 regular-sized muffin cups, or line with paper or foil baking cups.
- Mix flours, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, whisk buttermilk, oil, coffee, eggs and vanilla until blended.
- Stir flour mixture into buttermilk mixture just until blended.
- Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Remove muffins to wire rack to cool.