Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Sophisticated flavor that's ideal with coffee or tea. If you bake it in a square pan, glaze it with the glaze recipe provided. If you bake it in layers, make a penuche frosting for filling and icing.
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour one 8-inch square pan or two 8-inch cake layers. Heat the milk and add coffee granules, stirring until they dissolve. Stir in vanilla and let cool.
- Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, then the coffee mixture. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder and add to the butter mixture. Stir in walnuts. Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes for a square pan, or 30 minutes for round layers. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then either glaze while still warm, or turn out and cool completely to fill and frost.
- For glaze, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl with a whisk and beat until smooth.