Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe is from General Food's test kitchens. Cooking time is actually cooling/chilling time.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 2⁄3 cups milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares
- 2 -3 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- whipped cream or whipped topping
- Combine the sugar, tapioca and salt in a saucepan; stir in the milk and egg.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add chocolate and coffee granules.
- Cook over medium heat, while stirring, until the mixture comes to a full boil and chocolate is well blended (about 15 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Cool for 20 minutes; stir.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Serve with whipped cream.