Recipe by Punky Julster
From BHG. No egg yolks make this coffee-flavored chocolate souffle almost fat-free.
- 1 cup canned evaporated skim milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur or 1 tablespoon coffee-flavored liqueur
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee crystals
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan combine the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and coffee crystals. Stir in milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Stir in liqueur and vanilla. Pour into a large bowl. Cover surface of mixture with clear plastic wrap. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold about one-fourth of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten. Fold in remaining egg whites.
- Gently pour mixture into an ungreased 2- to 2-1/2-quart souffli dish.
- Bake in a 375 degree F. oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately.