Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Found on CHOW - haven't tried it yet, but wanted to post. Coffee and chocolate - YUM! Prep time does not include brewing coffee.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly (1/2 stick)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup strong brewed coffee, at room temperature
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat an 8-by-8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine flour, 3/4 cup of the cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar, milk, butter, egg, and vanilla until combined and smooth. Add flour mixture to milk mixture and whisk until just combined (some lumps may remain).
- Transfer batter to the prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Combine remaining 1/4 cup cocoa, remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a small bowl until well mixed, then sprinkle over batter. Pour coffee over batter, do not stir, and place in the oven.
- Bake until cake is bubbling, puffed, and set at the edges but still a bit loose in the middle, about 25 minutes. Remove to a rack and let cool 5 minutes before serving.