Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Creamy smooth chocolate and coffee-flavored pie.
- 1 (15 ounce) packagepillsbury all ready pie crusts
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup coffee-flavored liqueur
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream, whipped, sweetened
- 1⁄4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 450. Prepare pie crust according to package directions for unfilled one-crust pie using 9 inch pie pan.
- Bake at 450 for 8 to 11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
- Pour milk into medium saucepan; sprinkle with gelatin. Let stand 5 minutes to soften.
- Stir in sugar and instant coffee crystals; add chocolate. cook over low heat until coffee crystals dissolve and chocolate is melted, stirring constantly.
- In small bowl, beat egg yolks slightly. Gradually stir about 1/2 of the hot milk mixture into egg yolks; return to saucepan.
- Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened; do not boil.
- Remove from heat; stir in liqueur and almond extract. Refrigerate until the consistency of corn syrup, stirring occasionally; remove from refrigerator.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 2 tablespoons sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- When gelatin mixture is partially set, fold in beaten egg whites.
- In small bowl, whip 1/2 cup cream until soft peaks form; fold into chocolate mixture. Refrigerate until mixture mounds slightly when spooned.
- Spoon into baked pie crust and chill 4 to 6 hours or until firm. Garnish with whipped cream and almonds.