Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Snowbird Mountain Lodge, Robbinsville, NC.
- 1 (9 inch) partially baked flaky pie crusts
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cocoa, coffee, butter, and cream; whisk to blend.
- Add in the sugar, corn syrup, eggs, vanilla, and salt.
- Whisk to combine and until smooth.
- Stir in pecans; pour mixture into cooled pie shell.
- Gently rake a fork through the filling to distribute the nuts evenly.
- Place pie on the center oven rack; bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Rotate pie 180°; continue to bake until the filling has puffed around the edge and the middle is set--to check, give the pie a quick little nudge; the filling should not move in waves below the crusty surface.
- Transfer pie to a wire rack and let cool thoroughly.
- Can be served at room temperature but the texture is better if the pie is loosely covered with foil and refrigerated 1 hour before serving.