1 hr 15 mins
Chef Mommy #6's Note:
This recipe is an orange-and-mocha variation of sugar-cookie dough. I got it from the Toronto Star 2008 Cookie Advent Calendar. It's originally from: A Bakers Field Guide to Christmas Cookies by Dede Wilson. I love that it has flavor & not overly sweet. I made it for my first ever cookie exchange & it was a hit! Best cookies I ever made. The Star still has a link for the 2008 calendar but I want to save it just to be on the safe side.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1For orange dough, whisk flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl.
- 2In large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium high until creamy, 2 minutes. Add sugar gradually. Beat until fluffy, 3 minutes. Beat in orange zest and vanilla. Beat in egg, scraping bowl .
- 3Mix in one-third of flour mixture, on low speed. Gradually add, and blend, remaining flour.
- 4For mocha dough, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in small bowl.
- 5In large bowl, beat butter on medium high until creamy, 2 minutes. Add sugar gradually. Beat until fluffy, 3 minutes. Dissolve coffee in vanilla. Beat into dough. Beat in egg.
- 6Mix in one-third of flour mixture on low speed. Add remaining flour gradually, until blended.
- 7Doughs will be slightly damp but crumbly. Scrape onto large pieces of plastic wrap, shape into flat discs, and wrap. Refrigerate until firm, 2 hours to overnight.
- 8Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- 9For patchwork cookies, choose small cookie cutter that fits inside larger one, and allows a border.
- 10Roll doughs to 1/4-inch thickness on floured surface. Cut out large orange shape; place on cookie sheet. Cut out large mocha shape; place 2 inches apart. Cut out small shapes from centre of each. Place small mocha shape inside large orange shape, and vice versa. When pans are full, place in freezer for 15 minutes or refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- 11For marbled cookies, knead scraps together. Roll out dough; cut.
- 12Bake in 350F oven until edges begin to colour, about 12 minutes for 2-inch cookies. You can use top and middle oven racks, switching trays halfway through baking time – quickly, to maintain temperature.
- 13Makes about 50 cookies.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mocha Orange Patchwork Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1705 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 151.5
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 26.9 mg
- Sodium 52.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 1.9 g