Found this recipe in the December January 2007 issue of Taste of Home magazine and thought I'd better store it here for future use.
My Private Note
three l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 7 large eggs, seperated
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided in half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups walnuts, ground
- 1 1/4 cups pecans, ground
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, plain
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1Preheat oven to 375°; Line three 9 inch round cake pans with waxed paper; set aside.
- 2Place egg whites in a large bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 3In another mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened.
- 4Gradually add 1 cup of the granulated sugar beating until thick and lemon colored; beat in vanilla.
- 5Combine nuts, bread crumbs, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt; stir into the egg mixture until combined.
- 6Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon of the salt to the egg whites and beat with electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- 7Gradually beat in remaining 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a timebeating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and the sugar is completely dissolved.
- 8Gradually fold egg white mixture into the batter until just blended.
- 9Divide batter amongst prepared cake pans and bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- 10Cool 20 minutes, then remove from pans and complete cooling on wire racks; remove waxed paper.
- 11In a small bowl, beat heavy cream until it begins to thicken.
- 12Add confectioner's sugar and vanilla, beating until stiff peaks form.
- 13Cover and chill until you're ready to assemble the cake.
- 14In a large saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat; then remove from burner.
- 15Stir in coffee, vanilla and confectioner's sugar.
- 16Spread the chilled filling between the three layers, stacking them as you go.
- 17Then cover the tops and sides of the cake with the mocha frosting; garnish with the pecan halves.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mocha Nut Torte
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 635.8
- Calories from Fat 334
- Total Fat 37.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 166.0 mg
- Sodium 291.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 64.3 g
- Protein 9.2 g