Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
want to make this for my friends baby shower. coffee & chicory essence is found near the coffee
- 400 g sweetened condensed milk
- 100 g brown sugar
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons coffee and chicory blend
- 100 g walnut halves, toasted, roughly chopped
- 200 g dark chocolate
- 225 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 80 g brown sugar
- 150 g butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon coffee and chicory blend
- Preheat oven to 180°C Grease and line base and sides of two 7 x 25cm bar pans with baking paper.
- To make base, sift flour and baking powder in a bowl, stir in sugar, then pour in butter and half the coffee essence. Stir well to combine, then divide between pans, pressing down well into the base. Bake in oven for 20 minutes, then set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, place condensed milk, brown sugar, butter and coffee essence in a saucepan over low heat, stirring for about 10 minutes until mixture thickens.
- Sprinkle pastry bases with walnuts, spread half the caramel filling over each base and return to the oven for 10-12 minutes or until filling starts to bubble around the edges. Cool completely.
- Melt chocolate and remaining coffee essence in a bowl over a pan of simmering water (don't let bowl touch water), then pour over caramel, tilting the pan to ensure an even coating. Leave to cool and set completely before slicing.