Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Source: Midwest Living
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee crystals
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- sifted powdered sugar
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, coffee crystals, and salt.
- Set the mixture aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add the 1/2 cup powdered sugar and vanilla; beat the mixture well.
- Add flour mixture, beating on low to medium speed until combined.
- Stir in walnuts with a wooden spoon.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Place balls about 1-1/2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake in a 325F oven for about 15 minutes or until the cookies are set.
- Cool on a cookie sheet for 1 minute.
- Transfer the cookies to wire racks.
- While the cookies are still warm, roll in or sprinkle with some additional powdered sugar.
- Cool, then roll again in powdered sugar before serving.
- Store in a tightly covered container.
Yummy! I love these little cookies. I made them pretty much as directed, but I had to add about a 1/4 C more flour to be able to roll them into balls. No matter, I tinker with most recipes so this was a very minor adjustment. The coffee lovers in my house loved these, the coffee flavor is well pronounced. Thank you for sharing this keeper of a recipe!
I made a half serve and got 21 little morsels of goodness for the DS to take to his music recreation group were they were enjoyed. I baked at 165C fan forced for 15 minutes and they were just right. I slightly flattened 10 of them and left the other 11 I did as round balls. Thank you Mom2Rose, made for the Aussie/Kiwi Swap October 2009.