Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Have a coffee with these chocolate/coffee-flavoured muffins!
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon hot tap water
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F; in a 12-cup muffin pan, place paper liners in 10 cups and set aside.
- In a small bowl, dissolve instant coffee in hot water.
- In a large bowl, crack egg and whisk; stir in oil, milk, vanilla, and coffee mixture; combine well.
- In an another small bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Gently fold dry ingredients into coffee mixture, just until mixed; do not overbeat.
- Spoon batter into the 10 paper liners and decorate the top of each muffin with a few chopped almonds, if desired.
- In the two unused muffin pans, place some water so they won't burn.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on rack.
I've always wanted a muffin that TASTES like those famous, 600 calorie muffins, that I could make at home....for less...for less calories. This made 10 muffins in my pans, and next time I will probably substitute all coffee for the liquid. I also added 1 teaspoon imitation almond extract to this; my daughter is allergic to nuts but we love the taste. Thanks for this one!
I really wish I had read the other reviews before making these since they really had very little flavour. My husband, who LOVES chocolatey things basically refused to eat one until I spread Nutella on it for flavour. Next time I will amp up the chocolate and coffee significantly.
easy recipe to follow. this is my first time to make a mocha muffin. but this came out not quite mocha tasting muffin. but it was good. just need a little more taste. i also doubled the coffee and choco ingredient. i also advice others to bake for 20 min or less.