Recipe by Redneck Epicurean
This cake is over the top rich and decadent. I love the combination of coffee and chocolate. The cake is so moist, the mocha filling rich, and the frosting light and fluffy. Chocolate shavings on top make the presentation extra special. It does look like the cake takes forever and a day to make, but most of it is refrigeration and cooling time.
- 1 (18 ounce) box supermoist fudge cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur or 1 tablespoon strong coffee
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup coffee liqueur or 1⁄3 cup strong coffee
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottoms and sides of three 8 or 9-inch round cake pans with shortening or oil and flour. (Do not use cooking spray.)
- In a large bowl, beat the cake ingredients on low speed for 1 minute, scraping the bowl constantly. Pour 1 3/4 cups batter in each pan. (If you only have 2 pans, refrigerate the unused batter until needed.).
- Bake 24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Turn cakes onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a 2 quart saucepan, make the mocha mousse. Mix 1/4 cup of the whipping cream, sugar, and coffee and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved and mixture simmers; remove from heat.
- Add the chocolate chips and vanilla and stir until the chips are melted. Chill 10 minutes in the refrigerator.
- In a chilled bowl, whip the remaining 1/2 cup cream until soft peaks form. Fold into the cooled chocolate mixture. Cover and return to the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- In another chilled bowl, beat all the ingredients for the topping on high speed until soft peaks form.
- To assemble, fill the layers with the mousse. Spread the frosting over the top and sides. Shave a plain chocolate bar, if desired, with a vegetable peeler for garnish.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours before serving. Store covered in the refrigerator.