Recipe by The Legal Chef
This is adapted from Camilla Saulsbury's muffin recipe. It's fairly nutritious and soo good. These loaves/muffins freeze well too. I occasionally add some frozen berries to these too.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 4 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I use dark)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons dry buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup coffee (brewed strong)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 ounces dark chocolate chips (or chopped from a bar)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg, oil, vanilla, applesauce, and gently add to dry ingredients.
- Add hot coffee and boiling water, mix until just blended, and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Add chocolate chips.
- Divide batter among 4 greased mini loaf pans with parchment paper covering the bottems.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.