Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Haven't tried this recipe yet, but it sounds good!
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip
- Stir together vanilla and coffee granules, set aside.
- Using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat together egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy. Increase mixer speed to medium high. Add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, and beat until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle cocoa over egg white mixture and fold in until blended. Stir in vanilla mixture and chocolate chips.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto parchment paper lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 250 degrees F. for one hour. Do not open the oven door. Turn the oven off and prop the door slightly open. Leave the cookies in the oven for an additional 30 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully remove cookies with a thin metal spatula. Enjoy!
Thanks so much for posting! I was actually about to do so myself ;-). I found these online somewhere else and decided to give them a try this year. For a coffee lover, they're awesome! I only made 2 changes - I increased the vanilla and instant coffee granules to 1-1/2 tsp each instead of just 1 tsp each (hoping to give the meringues a more "coffee-y" flavor). So yummy (I'm about to make my second batch). The only other suggestion I would have for anyone considering making these is to not try and be too fancy - I originally tried piping them out using a pastry bag and star tip like I do with other meringues and found that the mini chocolate chips kept getting stuck in the tip. So I ended up having to do the plain resealable bag technique in the end anyway. Other than that bit of difficulty, they baked up great...nice and crispy. I liked the addition of mini chocolate chips. Thanks for posting!!!