Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Light little cookies with a hint of coffee. It won't kill you to make them without cream of tartar. I made these on Christmas Eve, realized I had no cream of tartar, wasn't going to go out and get any (are you crazy?), did without and had a hit. Although it's probably better if you have some.
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons instant coffee
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Take your eggs out of the fridge and allow them to come to room temperature.
- Make sure you have two oven racks in your oven. Preheat oven to 250°F.
- In a small bowl, mix vanilla and instant coffee.
- In large bowl (or your mixer's bowl) add egg whites, cream of tartar and salt. Beat on medium speed until the eggs are frothy.
- Increase speed slightly and add sugar gradually but steadily.
- Beat mixture until stiff peaks form. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Add vanilla/coffee mixture and mix until combined. Decrease speed to low and add cocoa gradually until just incorporated.
- Using a pastry bag or ziploc bag with a corner cut off, pipe meringue onto two parchment lined cookie sheets. The mounds should be no less than half an inch apart and should each be about an inch across.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then switch the two baking sheets from one rack to the other.
- Bake for another 20 minutes until the meringues are dry. Turn off the oven and leave it slightly open while the meringues crisp for about an hour.