Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is another "cake-doctor" recipe from Anne Byrn. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds simply yummy!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) boxplain white cake mix
- 2 cups coffee ice cream, melted
- 3 large eggs (or 3/4 cup egg substitute)
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder (or espresso powder)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup marshmallow creme
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly mist a 12-cup bundt pan with vegetable oil spray, then dust with flour. Shake out excess flour and set pan aside.
- Place cake mix, melted ice cream, eggs and coffee powder in large mixing bowl.
- Blend with electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop machine and scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat 2-3 minutes more, scraping down sides again if necessary. The batter should look thick and well-combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing it out with rubber spatula.
- Bake cake until it springs back when lightly pressed with your finger and is just starting to pull away from the sides of the pan, 40-45 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and place on wire rack to cool for 20 minutes.
- Run a long, sharp knife around edge of cake and invert it onto rack to cool completely, 20 minutes more.
- Meanwhile as the cake cools, prepare the Chocolate Marshmallow Frosting: Sift confectioner's sugar and cocoa powder together into a large mixing bowl. Set bowl aside.Place marshmallow creme, butter and milk in a medium-size heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir until the butter and marshmallow creme have melted, 2-3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Pour the sugar cocoa mixture over the marshmallow mixture. Add 1 tsp vanilla and stir until frosting is smooth and satiny. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
- When the cake is completely cooled, slide the cake onto a serving platter, and pour the warm frosting over the cake. Let the cake rest for 10 minutes before slicing.