6 hrs 18 mins
This recipe is from an old "professional" cookbook I have. I have posted it in reply to a message board request. "This ultra-rich dessert is inspired by the classic Rigo Jancsi cake, named for the legendary Hungarian Gypsy violinist. Make it one day ahead to allow the flavors to meld. "
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Filling and Topping
- 4 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 22 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped,divided use
- 1/3 cup dark rum
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1For filling and topping: Stir first 3 ingredients in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves and cream comes to simmer.
- 2Remove from heat.
- 3Add 20 ounces chocolate; whisk until melted and smooth.
- 4Whisk in rum and vanilla.
- 5Transfer 1 cup warm chocolate mixture to small bowl; whisk remaining 2 ounces chocolate into mixture in bowl and set aside for topping.
- 6Cover; let stand at room temperature.
- 7Transfer remaining chocolate mixture to large bowl to use as filling; chill until cold and thick, at least 6 hours and up to 1 day.
- 8For syrup: Stir water and sugar in small saucepan over low heat just until sugar dissolves.
- 9Remove from heat; mix in rum.
- 10Cover and let stand up to 1 day.
- 11For cake: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 12Butter 9x9x2-inch metal baking pan.
- 13Line bottom with waxed paper; butter paper.
- 14Combine vanilla and coffee powder in cup; swirl to dissolve coffee.
- 15Sift flour, cocoa, and baking soda into small bowl.
- 16Using electric mixer, beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in medium bowl until very thick and light in color, about 3 minutes.
- 17Beat in vanilla-coffee mixture.
- 18Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in large bowl until soft peaks form.
- 19Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff but not dry.
- 20Fold 1/3 of whites into yolk mixture.
- 21Fold in half of flour mixture.
- 22Fold in half of remaining whites, then remaining flour mixture, then remaining whites.
- 23Transfer batter to prepared pan; gently spread to even thickness.
- 24Bake cake until puffed and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 18 minutes.
- 25Cool in pan on rack (cake may shrink slightly).
- 26Cut around pan to loosen cake.
- 27Turn out onto work surface; peel off paper.
- 28Using long serrated knife, cut cake horizontally in half.
- 29Place 1 half, cut side up, on platter.
- 30Drizzle half of syrup (about 3 1/2 Tablespoons) over cake.
- 31Using electric mixer, beat cold chocolate filling until thick and lighter in color, less than 1 minute.
- 32Spread all of filling evenly over cake layer, aligning with sides of cake (filling will be about 1 inch thick).
- 33Drizzle remaining syrup over cut side of second cake layer.
- 34Place second layer, syrup side down, atop filling; press to adhere.
- 35Rewarm topping over low heat just until pourable.
- 36Pour topping onto top center of cake.
- 37Using small spatula, spread topping to edges, being careful to keep it from spilling over.
- 38Chill cake up to 1 day, covering loosely with foil or with cake dome after 2 hours of chilling.
- 39Cut cake into 16 squares and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mocha Layer Cake with Chocolate-Rum Cream Filling
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 534.9
- Calories from Fat 417
- Total Fat 46.4 g
- Saturated Fat 28.5 g
- Cholesterol 128.8 mg
- Sodium 121.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 14.7 g
- Protein 8.1 g