Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 cup roasted and chopped hazelnuts
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold butter, cut up
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- Measure milk and stir in instant coffee.
- Put flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl, stir to mix well.
- Add butter and cut in with a pastry blender or rub in with fingers until the mixture looks like fine granules.
- Add sugar and hazelnuts; toss to distribute evenly.
- Stir in milk mixture,pour into the bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms.
- Scoop 1/4 cup portions of dough and place about 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 425ºF for about 15 minutes or until the dough colors, but does not get dark brown.
- Put scones on a dish towel on a wire rack.
- Cover loosely with cloth and cool 1-2 hours before serving.