Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Baking this in a bag gives the best gravy. It comes out browned and flavorful. Use over rice or mashed potatoes with steamed carrot sticks--it looks beautiful. This is from Bubby Irma.
- 2 roasting chickens, cut into pieces
- garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cocoa
- 1 cup coffee, made with 1 tbsp. instant coffee
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar (or 2 tablespoons plain vinegar plus 1 tbsp. wine)
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dust chicken pieces with garlic powder and place in a pan or cooking bag.
- Mix all other ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Pour this sauce over chicken pieces.
- Bake for 1-2 hours.
How ironic is it that the non coffee lovers really liked this, while the coffee lover didn't. I served it with brown rice and steamed broccoli. I tried some of the sauce on both the rice and broccoli and it was just as delicious. I guess we'll just have to make this when only the coffee haters are home. - lol
I have been making this chicken dish for decades. It is by far one of my very favorites. I always make mine in a cooking bag, and use chicken breasts or thighs that are skinless. The gravy is so dark and rich, and it is wonderful on whipped potatoes. I have shared this recipe with many friends over the years, and everyone of them has loved it, you will too!
I adapted this for use in my pressure cooker, so I am giving 5 stars for taste and ease, but cannot vouch for the browned looks of this, since the meat didn't cook long enough in the sauce to brown. But the flavors of the sauce got into the chicken and the bottom of the chicken pieces (quarters) got brown! I will make this again, in a cooking bag as written. Sauce was great on mashed potatoes!