Recipe by Debbie R.
My most favorite cookie in the world. From BH&G. Prep/cooking time does not include time for cookies to cool before frosting.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 dash salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- walnut halves (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt shortening and chocolate over low heat, stirring. Cool 10 minutes. Stir in brown sugar. Beat in egg, vanilla and buttermilk.
- Mix flour, baking powder and soda, and salt. Add to chocolate mixture. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
- Drop from teaspoon on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for about 10 minutes. Remove from sheet and cool.
- Frost with Mocha Frosting. Top with a walnut half if desired.
- Mocha Frosting: Cream butter, cocoa, instant coffee and dash salt. Beat in confectioner's sugar, vanilla and enough milk so that it's spreadable.