Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My most favorite cookie in the world. From BH&G. Prep/cooking time does not include time for cookies to cool before frosting.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 dash salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- walnut halves (optional)
- Melt shortening and chocolate over low heat, stirring. Cool 10 minutes. Stir in brown sugar. Beat in egg, vanilla and buttermilk.
- Mix flour, baking powder and soda, and salt. Add to chocolate mixture. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
- Drop from teaspoon on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for about 10 minutes. Remove from sheet and cool.
- Frost with Mocha Frosting. Top with a walnut half if desired.
- Mocha Frosting: Cream butter, cocoa, instant coffee and dash salt. Beat in confectioner's sugar, vanilla and enough milk so that it's spreadable.
I've been making these cookies for at least 10 years. They always get rave reviews. I usually don't frost them tho as they are wonderful without.
These were way too good to top with frosting, I omitted the chocolate chips and only used walnuts, great cookie recipe hon!...Kitten :)