Ready, Set, Cook! Reynolds Wrap Contest Entry. This is a rich chocolatey cake and cheesecake-like dessert with mocha and almond flavorings that bakes magically into two layers in one pan
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons instant coffee granules, divided
- 1 teaspoon boiling water
- 3⁄4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 1⁄4 cups cola, beverage divided
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil, plus
- 1⁄2 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 7 eggs, at room temperature, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature, cubed
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- heavy duty non-stick Reynolds Wrap Foil
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 14 cup fluted tube pan (Bundt) thoroughly with non-stick cooking spray. In a small bowl, dissolve 3/4 teaspoon instant coffee granules in boiling water. Stir in caramel topping. Pour topping mixture into prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, heat 1/4 cup cola beverage; dissolve remaining 1 teaspoon coffee granules in heated cola and mix with remaining 1 cup cola. Place cake mix, cola mixture, 1/2 cup canola oil and 3 eggs into large mixing bowl and blend with electric mixer until moistened. Beat with mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour cake batter into cake pan over caramel topping.
- To make the flan layer, place softened cream cheese cubes, condensed milk, heavy cream, and skim milk into a food processor bowl fitted with a metal blade. Add remaining 4 eggs and almond extract and process until smooth, pulsing at first so it doesn’t splatter. Spoon mixture over cake batter in pan. Using a sheet of Reynolds Heavy Duty Non-stick aluminum foil, with non-stick side facing cake, cover the pan TIGHTLY with the foil – important!
- Place the covered tube pan, fluted side down, into a larger pan with at least 2-inch sides and place on oven rack. Pour very hot (heated to just below boiling) around covered pan about half way up the pan for a bain marie. Bake in 350 oven for 2 hours. Remove fluted cake pan from pan of water and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and invert cake onto a large platter. Cool completely at room temperature; sprinkle toasted sliced almonds over top of flan. Place chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl with remaining 1/2 teaspoon canola oil. Microwave on High for about 45 seconds stirring halfway through, until melted. Place mixture into a sandwich size ziplock plastic bag and seal. Just barely cut one of the corners to make a pastry bag. Squeeze and drizzle chocolate over almonds. Refrigerate until chilled completely before serving.
Fabulous! Love the coffee flavor in it! A nice change from the run of the mill!
Love the idea of fusing cake and flan!