Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Cooking Light's 1991 Annual Cookbook. Prep and cook times do not include the time it takes to steep the vanilla and coffee beans.
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup coffee beans
- 1 (2 inch) vanilla beans
- 2⁄3 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup frozen egg substitute, thawed
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons Kahlua
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan; remove from heat and add coffee beans. Split vanilla bean and remove seeds with back of knife; add vanilla bean and seeds to water. Let mixture stand 1 hour. Strain, reserving liquid. Discard vanilla and coffee beans.
- Combine milk powder, sugar, unsweetened cocoa, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan, stirring well. Gradually add reserved vanilla liquid, stirring mixture until smooth. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil 1 minute.
- Gradually stir about ¼ of hot mixture into egg substitute; add egg mixture into remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Add Kahlua and cook mixture over low heat, stirring constantly 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture is smooth and slightly thickened (do not allow to boil).
- Spoon mixture into 6 individual dessert dishes. Cover and chill thoroughly.