Recipe by BachFromTheDead
If you want a super-moist cupcake, then this is the one. I initially got this recipe from "Taste of Home" magazine, but after having tasting it at its original state; I decided to tweak it just a tad, and they turned out great!
Top Review by crin13
Great recipe! Cupcakes are very moist and delicious even without any frosting. I frosted mine with a mocha cream cheese frosting and they were divine! Next time I'll try the frosting recipe provided, because I will definitely be making these again.
FOR THE CAKE
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cold brewed coffee, plus
- 3 tablespoons brewed cold coffee
- 1⁄2 cup oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
FOR THE FROSTING
- 6 1⁄2 tablespoons dark chocolate
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened, plus
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, coffee, oil, vinegar and vanilla until well blended. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into coffee mixture until blended. Do not over mix (this will cause tough cupcakes).
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.(note: for cupcakes to all be the same size; use a 1/4-1/3 measuring cup to fill your cups). Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the cupcakes are a rather light gold, and mildly fluffed. Cool for about 10 minutes outside of the pan (to avoid residule cooking) before frosting *as below* .
- For frosting, in a microwave or over a saucepan, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and coffee at a high rate until smooth and holding (also, if the frosting seems a tad runny; add a sprinkle more confectioners sugar/ coocoa powder). Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Top with chopped chocolate bits.
- Refridgerate for 6-7 days to keep fresh.