Recipe by A Cookie Obsession
Top Review by vrvrvr
I had better luck with these, but based on the previous review, I made a couple changes. I used only white sugar (1 cup) and I used 2 eggs. They're moist, and no problem with the cupcakes falling apart. I got exactly 18 cupcakes and baked them for about 15 minutes. Now, are they super mocha-y? No, not really (but then again, I didn't have that teaspoon of coffee flavoring to add.) However, I love the fact that they are not overly sweet, and the barest hint of coffee flavor is nice. They're the perfect vehicle for a coffee frosting (5 T. butter, 1 T. shortening, 2 c. powdered sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 tsp. instant coffee, pinch salt, dribbles of milk to smooth) and everyone who's tasted them is swooning with happiness. Very delicious!
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup strong coffee
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon coffee flavoring
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugars, beat til light and fluffy 2-3 minutes.
- Add Egg.
- Combine milk and coffee.
- Alternate adding dry ingredients with wet.
- Fill cupcake liners 1/2 - 3/4 full.
- Bake 16-20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Tip add strong coffee in place of liquid in your favorite icing recipe.