Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
To give you a buzz
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tablespoon coffee, finely ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line your pan with paper liners.
- Mix together flour, cocoa powder, ground coffee, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil and egg until smooth. Add flour mixture and beat until combined.
- In a small bowl whisk together milk, instant coffee and vanilla until coffee is dissolved.
- Add milk mixture to batter and beat until smooth.
- Pour or scoop batter into pan and bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cupcake’s center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes then remove and cool completely.
I would first like to make some changes.<br/><br/>The instructions say to mix the first ingredients and egg until smooth; you should know it does not get smooth. It turns into what looks like the texture of wet-ish sand. After adding the milk mixture, the batter became very smooth. However, after tasting it before pouring it, I discovered it was terribly bitter. So after adding about 1/4 cup milk and the same in sugar, it was a lot less bitter.<br/><br/>I would also like to note that this recipe only make 9 cupcakes. I might have stretched for 10 but I wanted them a little fuller. <br/><br/>23 minutes on 350 worked well for me. They passed the toothpick test and were immediately removed from the pan. They tasted dense and still had a bitter after taste... more like dark chocolate than coffee. <br/><br/>They might taste better with a nice frosting, but plain.. the way I like cupcakes.... trash can.