Recipe by roxy_froggy25
These cupcakes taste and look like a cup of coffee. Now you can eat the perfect cup of coffee with this recipe.
Top Review by Little Black Apron
Didn't follow recipe exactly so can't give stars...but good to share so you don't make my mistakes....tried to cut down the butter (used 2 T less) and cut down the sugar (used about 1/4 cup). Stuck to pan because of this I think (even though I used lots of PAM). Husband said they were just ordinary. Can't comment on frosting -didn't use this one. I also doubled the coffee due to another review - coffee taste was not too strong.
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄8 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup water
- 1 5⁄8 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Put 20 paper baking cases in 2 muffin pans.
- Put the coffee granules, butter, sugar, honey, and water in a pan and heat gently, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for 5 minutes. Pour into a large heatproof bowl and let cool.
- When the mixture has cooled, add flour and cocoa. Dissolve baking soda in the milk, then add to the mixture with the egg and beat together until smooth. Spoon the batter into paper cases.
- Bake the cupcakes in the preheated over for 15-20 minutes, or until well risen and firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- For frosting, beat all ingredients, except nuts with a mixer until fluffy. Spread frosting to each cooled cake, and top with nuts.