- 3 cups water
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar or 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds (optional)
- heavy cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to a boil. Stir in oats, salt, espresso, and cocoa. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, 25-30 minutes, uncovered. Scots tradition says oatmeal should only be stirred with a wooden rod (called a spurtle), never a spoon or anything metal. I use the handle of a thick wooden spoon.
- When the desired consistency is achieved, stir in sugar and serve. Top with chips, nuts, and/or cream.