Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 4 mins
Cook 10 mins
These decadent chocolate-coffee flavored cookies will remind you of rich fudgy brownies. Great Christmas cookies.
- 1 1⁄3 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder or 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- Beat together brown sugar and oil; then mix in sour cream, egg, and vanilla.
- Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, espresso, baking soda, salt, and pepper.
- Add flour mixture to brown sugar mixture; mix well.
- Refrigerate dough until firm (3-4 hours).
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pour powdered sugar into shallow bowl; set aside.
- Cut dough into 1" pieces; roll into balls. Roll balls in powdered sugar.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheets until tops of cookies are firm to touch (10-12 minutes; do not overbake).
- Cool on wire racks.
very good! i did these because i didn't think i had any butter, but then I actually didn't have enough oil, so I did about 1/3c oil butter to fill the rest of the 1/2c measure. I also wasn't brave enough to add pepper... I do almost everything mocha-esque so I couldn't really taste the coffee in the cooked cookies, if you want an intense coffee flavor either use more or try the espresso powder
I only chilled the dough for about 10mins... i couldn't wait! and they turned out well! I baked 6 and froze the rest in ball form. It made 40 cookies for me. (I also didn't have powdered sugar (opps!) to roll them in and they still turned out great!)
these cookies have been my standard Holiday baking gift for 8 years. Everybody loves them!
I am eating these cookies right now. They are SOOOOO GOOOOOOOOODD!!! They remind me of my favorite cookies, Fudgy Cappuccino Crinkles from BHG, but not as coffee-y. I did not have sour cream, so I used some vanilla yogurt and a little cornstarch instead. You can't even taste the pepper, just dense and luscious CHOCOLATE! These are so pretty and delicious I don't even mind the mess! I ended up chilling the cookie dough for 3 days, since I got sick in the meantime. I only got a little over 3 dozen, but I'm sure they will all be gone by tomorrow! Thank you for sharing this recipe; I will use it often!