Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A tasty and different take on a dessert classic. The full version below is for a "dinner party" dessert -- in other words, it's very fancy and looks great but takes some time to put together. If you want to make it a bit simpler, just make the creme brulee base and then carmelise a bit of sugar on top. Still very tasty!
For the Brulee
- 5 egg yolks
- 125 g caster sugar
- 350 ml double cream
- 100 ml whole milk
- 60 ml instant coffee granules
- 100 ml double cream
- 45 ml whole milk
- 3 -5 drops vanilla essence
- cocoa powder or ground cinnamon
- 4 pieces fudge, rolled in
- brown sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 140C or 275 degrees F.
- Make the brulée by warming the double cream, milk, coffee and half the sugar in a pan.
- Add the other half of the sugar to the egg yolks and whisk.
- Once the cream and milk are hot, pour onto the egg mixture and whisk well.
- Pour through a sieve to make sure it is smooth.
- Ladle the mixture into 4 coffee cups and place in an oven tray.
- Gently pour boiling water into the tray until it comes half way up the cups.
- Put them into the oven carefully for around 40 minutes until just set.
- Pour the milk into the cream, add the vanilla and whisk or blitz with a hand blender until frothy.
- Spoon on top of the coffee brulee.
- Sprinkle with cocoa or cinnamon and serve on a saucer with a spoon and two cubes of sugar coated fudge.