Recipe by Lalaloula
This recipe comes from the wonderful book "Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar" by Terri Hope Romero and Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Ive tweaked it a tad here and there, though. The cookies come out puffy, soft and with a slight mocha flavour. I think they are very pretty and everyone (vegan or not) raved about them. I hope youll enjoy them, too.
For the Cookies
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond milk (I actually used hazelnut milk)
- 1 tablespoon strong coffee
- 1⁄2 tablespoon flax seed, ground
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
For the Drizzle
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 3 -4 teaspoons strong coffee
- 1⁄8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional, for a more intense coffee flavour)
Directions See How It's Made
- Vigourously whisk together oil, sugars, almond milk, coffee, flax seeds, cornstarch and vanilla extract (about 1-2 minutes).
- In a second bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Knead into a smooth, elastic dough that is easy to handle. If it is too wet, add a tad more flour.
- Using your hands form dough into 11 walnut sized balls and place them on a cookie sheet. Flatten slightly (these wont spread, so if you like flat cookies, flatten them more).
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180°C/350°F for 12 minutes or until set, but still a tad fudgy. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the drizzle combine powdered sugar, coffee, vanilla and espresso powder (if using) and drizzle over the cooled cookies in a decorative pattern. You could also just spread it on there or dip half of each cookie into it.
- Allow drizzle to set and then store in an airtight container.