Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe comes from the wonderful book "Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar" by Terri Hope Romero and Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Ive tweaked it a tad here and there, though. The cookies come out puffy, soft and with a slight mocha flavour. I think they are very pretty and everyone (vegan or not) raved about them. I hope youll enjoy them, too.
For the Cookies
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond milk (I actually used hazelnut milk)
- 1 tablespoon strong coffee
- 1⁄2 tablespoon flax seed, ground
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
For the Drizzle
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 3 -4 teaspoons strong coffee
- 1⁄8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional, for a more intense coffee flavour)
- Vigourously whisk together oil, sugars, almond milk, coffee, flax seeds, cornstarch and vanilla extract (about 1-2 minutes).
- In a second bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Knead into a smooth, elastic dough that is easy to handle. If it is too wet, add a tad more flour.
- Using your hands form dough into 11 walnut sized balls and place them on a cookie sheet. Flatten slightly (these wont spread, so if you like flat cookies, flatten them more).
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180°C/350°F for 12 minutes or until set, but still a tad fudgy. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the drizzle combine powdered sugar, coffee, vanilla and espresso powder (if using) and drizzle over the cooled cookies in a decorative pattern. You could also just spread it on there or dip half of each cookie into it.
- Allow drizzle to set and then store in an airtight container.