Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is just one of Gourmet's Favorite Cookies from 1941-2008. Recipe Source: GMA
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water melt the unsweetened chocolate, 1½ cups of the chocolate chips, and the butter, stirring until the mixture is smooth, and remove the bowl from the heat.
- In a small bowl stir together the flour, the baking powder and the salt. In a bowl beat the eggs with the sugar until the mixture is thick and pale and beat in the espresso powder and the vanilla.
- Fold the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture, fold in the flour mixture, and stir in the remaining 1½ cups chocolate chips.
- Let the batter stand for 15 minutes. Drop the batter by heaping tablespoons onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper and bake the cookies in the middle of a preheated 350° F oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are puffed and shiny and cracked on top. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets, transfer them to racks, and let them cool completely.