Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Perfect Pick Me Up!! Coffee and chocolate sandwiched with Coffee Buttercream in the middle!
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans, finely chopped and toasted
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur or 2 tablespoons strong coffee
- coffee beans (optional)
- Stir together first six ingredients; set aside. Beat butter with electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until combined. Beat in egg, chocolate, and vanilla. Beat in as much flour mixture as you can. Stir in any remaining flour mixture.
- Divide dough into three portions. Shape each portion into 8 inch roll. Roll in pecans, pressing gently to coat. Wrap rolls in plastic wrap. Chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut rolls into 1/4 inch slices. Place slices 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer to wire rack; cool.
- Spread Coffee Buttercream on bottom of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies, bottoms down. If desired, pipe a small amount of buttercream on top of each cookie sandwich and add a coffee bean.
- Coffee Buttercream: Beat powdered sugar, butter and coffee liqueur until fluffy.