Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Coffee and Chocolate!!! A winning combination!
Make and share this Mocha Coffee Cake - Light recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup brewed strong coffee
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup low-fat sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Spray a 9-inch square cake pan with Pam.
- Make topping: in a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, chocolate chips and cocoa.
- Make cake: in a large bowl, beat sugar, oil, coffee, egg, egg white and vanilla.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda. With a wooden spoon, stir the dry ingredients into the coffee mixture in batches, alternating with the sour cream, making two additions of dry and one of wet, and stirring just until the mixture is combined. Pour it into a prepared pan. Sprinkle with topping.
- Place the pan in the centre of the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
Wonderfully rich tasting and light cake. Often serve this with raspberry sauce and whipped cream or ice cream. Never a crumb left.
this is a great morning treat! i used greek yogurt instead of the sour cream and it turned out great. I also put coconut on top. I cant wait to take it to work tomorrow.
Wow! There is nothing "light" about the flavor of this cake! It is very rich and decedent. We all loved it! I substituted applesauce for the oil to make it even lower in fat, but I did use 2 whole eggs. You could also use this as a dessert cake. It is that rich! I cut it into 8 slices and that was plenty, even for the kids. Thanks for sharing the recipe for this moist, flavorful cake, Redsie!