Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From Southern Living.
- 1 1⁄4 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, plus
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 8 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- chocolate curls
- In a bowl, combine the chocolate wafer crumbs and melted butter; stir well to combine.
- Press mixture into bottom and 1-inch up sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Sprinkle with slivered almonds; chill.
- Add semisweet chocolate to the top of a double boiler; bring water to a boil; lower heat; cook until chocolate melts, stirring occasionally.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, using an electric mixer, until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add in 1 cup sugar; beating well.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add in melted chocolate, beating until smooth.
- Crush coffee granules with a mortal/pestle or the back of a spoon.
- Combine coffee, Kahlua, and vanilla; add to chocolate mixture, beating well.
- Fold in sour cream.
- Pour cheesecake filling into crumb crust; place on baking sheet.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 1 hour.
- Turn oven off and let cheesecake stand in oven for 30 minutes with the door partially open.
- Remove from oven; cool on wire rack.
- Cover and chill at least 8 hours.
- Beat whipping cream until foamy; gradually add in powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- Remove sides of springform pan; pipe or dollop whipped cream around edge of cheesecake.
- Garnish with chocolate curls.
This is quite good. It was easy to make. There was some cracking on the top, but it could be covered with whipped cream if necessary. I guess my problem is that I'd prefer something a little less chocolately, which is probably a really weird complaint about a chocolate cheesecake. I have eaten chocolate cheesecakes that I liked better, but this is definitely not a bad recipe, and might well be liked very much by the majority of people.