Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adopted from the RecipeZaar account. I haven't made these yet.
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon freeze-dried coffee granules
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 egg whites (or egg substitute equivalent to 1 egg)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoon brewed coffee
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Make sure cocoa is thoroughly mixed into flour.
- In small bowl, stir together buttermilk and coffee granules until coffee dissolves.
- Stir in olive oil, egg whites or substitute and vanilla.
- Pour buttermilk mixture into flour mixture and stir with fork just to incorporate.
- Stir in chocolate.
- Spoon batter into 8 or 9 greased muffin tins, filling 3/4th’s full.
- Bake in preheated oven 25 minutes or until tester inserted into center of muffins comes out clean.
- Cool muffins on a wire rack.
- To prepare glaze, in a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar and brewed coffee to make thick liquid mixture.
- Drizzle over hot muffins and set aside until glaze is firm.