Recipe by JenSmith
This is a delicious dessert that is simple yet impressive. This is not for dieters, so beware! Cook time is chill time. From Southern Living, March 1986.
- 1 (3 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup semisweet chocolate morsel
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- additional whipped cream (optional)
- chocolate shavings (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften gelatin in cold water; let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine milk, chocolate morsels, and cocoa in a heavy saucepan; cook over low heat until chocolate melts.
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in a small mixing bowl; blend well. Gradually stir about 1/4 of the hot mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Add this to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly.
- Add coffee granules to hot mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in softened gelatin and vanilla. Chill until mixture is the consistency of unbeaten egg white.
- Beat egg whties (at room temp.) until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into coffee mixture.
- Gently fold whipped cream into egg white mixture. Spoon into a 1 quart casserole and chill until firm. (Or you can use dessert dishes or champagne flutes, or whatever you wish to serve this in.).
- To serve, top with additional whipped cream and chocolate shavings, if desired.