1/1 Photo of Mocha Cake Bombe
This is just an incredible recipe that will have you swooning, as long as you don't think about the calories! You can make it easier by buying a Madeira cake or any pound-type cake. Or, if you're anal like me about preservatives and other stuff in store-bought things you can make your own. I used recipe number 85, Butter Madeira Cake. Make this up to 2 days ahead or freeze it, for easy party planning!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Beat the mascarpone until slightly softened, then beat in the sugar.
- 2Whip 300ml of the cream until it just holds its shape, then fold lightly into the mascarpone.
- 3Toast the coconut or almonds in a dry frying pan until tinged brown, then cool.
- 4Chop the chocolate and mix with the cooled almonds. Set aside 2 tbsp to use later on for decoration.
- 5Mix together the coffee or hot chocolate with the alcohol.
- 6Cut the cake into 15 slices.
- 7Now, you can choose to make the cake either in a baking dish (easier perhaps if you need to travel with it or slice for serve-yourself-occasions like a potluck) or in a bowl, which will result in a dome shaped bombe.
- 8If you are going for a baking dish, use a pan that is roughly 8 x 10 inches.
- 9If you go for a pudding basin, it should be about 1.4 litre or 2-1/2 pint capacity and lined with cling film.
- 10Either way, start by lining the base with a few pieces of cake.
- 11When you've completed a layer, sprinkle over some of the coffee/alcohol mixture, then smooth a few spoonfuls of the mascarpone/whipping cream on top.
- 12Add some of the chocolate and almond or coconut mixture and then repeat the layers.
- 13Finish with a layer of cake, moistened with any remaining coffee mixture.
- 14Cover the top of the desert and chill for at least 4 hours and up to 2 days.
- 15Remove the cling film and, if you're using a bowl, invert it onto a serving plate.
- 16Whip the remaining cream to soft peaks and spread over the top and sides of the bombe.
- 17Scatter over the remaining chocolate/almond mixture.
- 18You can freeze this after it's been layered for up to 3 months.
- 19Defrost overnight and then continue with the rest of the steps.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mocha Cake Bombe
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 430.8
- Calories from Fat 385
- Total Fat 42.7 g
- Saturated Fat 27.6 g
- Cholesterol 87.3 mg
- Sodium 33.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: