This is just an incredible recipe that will have you swooning, as long as you don't think about the calories! You can make it easier by buying a Madeira cake or any pound-type cake. Or, if you're anal like me about preservatives and other stuff in store-bought things you can make your own. I used recipe number 85, Butter Madeira Cake. Make this up to 2 days ahead or freeze it, for easy party planning!
- Beat the mascarpone until slightly softened, then beat in the sugar.
- Whip 300ml of the cream until it just holds its shape, then fold lightly into the mascarpone.
- Toast the coconut or almonds in a dry frying pan until tinged brown, then cool.
- Chop the chocolate and mix with the cooled almonds. Set aside 2 tbsp to use later on for decoration.
- Mix together the coffee or hot chocolate with the alcohol.
- Cut the cake into 15 slices.
- Now, you can choose to make the cake either in a baking dish (easier perhaps if you need to travel with it or slice for serve-yourself-occasions like a potluck) or in a bowl, which will result in a dome shaped bombe.
- If you are going for a baking dish, use a pan that is roughly 8 x 10 inches.
- If you go for a pudding basin, it should be about 1.4 litre or 2-1/2 pint capacity and lined with cling film.
- Either way, start by lining the base with a few pieces of cake.
- When you've completed a layer, sprinkle over some of the coffee/alcohol mixture, then smooth a few spoonfuls of the mascarpone/whipping cream on top.
- Add some of the chocolate and almond or coconut mixture and then repeat the layers.
- Finish with a layer of cake, moistened with any remaining coffee mixture.
- Cover the top of the desert and chill for at least 4 hours and up to 2 days.
- Remove the cling film and, if you're using a bowl, invert it onto a serving plate.
- Whip the remaining cream to soft peaks and spread over the top and sides of the bombe.
- Scatter over the remaining chocolate/almond mixture.
- You can freeze this after it's been layered for up to 3 months.
- Defrost overnight and then continue with the rest of the steps.