Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
The original recipe comes from The Metropal Bakery in Eugene Oregon. Enjoy!
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped semisweet chocolate
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 5 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold whipping cream
- chocolate curls
- whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor blend together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Add the cold butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add the nuts and chocolate, pulsing until the nuts are finely chopped.
- Press crust onto bottom and up the sides of a 9 inch metal pie plate.
- Freeze for 20 minutes and then bake for 25 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- In the top of a double broiler melt the 6 oz's chocolate until smooth.
- Remove from over the water.
- Combine sugar, yolks and corn syrup in a medium metal bowl.
- Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water and whisk until thermometer registers 160 degrees, about 6 minutes.
- Remove from over the water and add the butter, espresso and vanilla.
- beat the mixture until cool and thick, around 5-6 minutes.
- Fold in the melted chocolate mixture.
- Beat the 1 cup chilled whipping cream in another bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into chocolate mixture.
- Spoon mixture into pie cruse and refrigerate at least 6 hours, overnight is better.
- To serve pipe whipped cream on pie and top with chocolate curls.