Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A nice combination of chocolate and coffee. Yum!
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 4 teaspoons instant coffee, dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water (I use an instant espresso)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- Cream butter until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes and beat in 1/3 cup of icing sugar, coffee mixture, salt, half the remaining icing sugar, the cocoa and vanilla.
- Beat in remaining icing sugar slowly and beat buttercream at high speed until it is light and fluffy.
Made this today for a box cake and while I found it to not have quite the coffee flavor I was looking for, every other person who ate it raved about it and handed out lots of compliments! I'll keep this, but will likely add more coffee the next time. (It was extremely thick, so I added milk maybe a tablespoon of milk while blending - next time I may just use coffee.) Thanks!
Evelyn I used this recipe to frost Recipe#311985. I used the espresso instant coffee as you suggested but put another twist to it using Herseys Dark Chocolate unsweetened cocoa. OMG talk about a rich chocolaty frosting!!! The only problem I had was due to altitude (I live at 3200 ft above sea level) I probably should have added a bit more liquid as it was so thick I could hardly spread the frosting. Have noted to do that next time I use this great and wonderful recipe. Hugz - Lynda
Wonderful! Can't wait for my guests to try it!