1/6 Photos of Mocha Buttercream Chocolate Espresso Cake
1 hr 13 mins
This moist espresso and chocolate flavored cake is brushed with coffee glaze and then finished with a soft mocha buttercream frosting, making every bite melt in your mouth. From Nestle.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
CHOCOLATE ESPRESSO CAKE
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, baking bar(s) broken into small pieces (Nestles Chocolatier, 62% Cacao)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder or 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder or 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
MOCHA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 1FOR CHOCOLATE ESPRESSO CAKE:.
- 2Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease and line two 9-inch-round baking pans with wax paper.
- 3Microwave small chocolate pieces in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 45 seconds, stir.
- 4If pieces retain some of their original shape, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until melted.
- 5Cool to room temperature.
- 6Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl.
- 7Beat brown sugar, butter, eggs, instant coffee and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl for 3 minutes.
- 8Gradually add melted chocolate and continue beating for an additional minute.
- 9Beat flour mixture into creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- 10Pour into prepared pans.
- 11Bake for 33 to 38 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Run knife around edges of cakes.
- 12Invert onto wire racks; remove wax paper. Cool completely.
- 13Brush cakes with Coffee Glaze over cake layers.
- 14Spread Mocha Buttercream Frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- 15FOR COFFEE GLAZE:.
- 16Microwave granulated sugar, water and instant coffee in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 30 seconds.
- 17Stir until sugar and coffee are dissolved.
- 18FOR MOCHA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:.
- 19Microwave small chocolate pieces in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 45 seconds; STIR.
- 20If pieces retain some of their original shape, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until melted.
- 21Cool to room temperature.
- 22Dissolve instant coffee in milk in glass measure.
- 23Beat butter, vanilla extract and salt in large mixer bowl for 3 minutes.
- 24Beat in melted chocolate until blended, scraping occasionally.
- 25Gradually beat in powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
- 26Beat in coffee mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired spreading consistency.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mocha Buttercream Chocolate Espresso Cake
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 495.8
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 108.5 mg
- Sodium 414.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 53.3 g
- Protein 4.1 g