Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love this recipe because it is easy to mix up, I usually have everything on hand and they taste woooonderful. The frosting is optional.
- 118.29 ml shortening
- 118.29 ml butter
- 236.59 ml cocoa
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml hot water
- 19.71 ml instant coffee
- 4 eggs
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 236.59 ml flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 473.18 ml confectioners' sugar
- 22.18 ml milk
- 9.85-14.78 ml instant coffee
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a 13x9 inch pan.
- Melt shortening and butter over low heat or in the microwave.
- Remove from heat and add cocoa, blend well.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Dissolve instant coffee in hot water and mix into creamed mixture.
- Add eggs one at a time, beat well, by hand, after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla, flour, and salt.
- DO NOT OVER BEAT!
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- For frosting, cream butter and vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar and mix in well on medium speed.
- Dissolve instant coffee in milk and add to mixture.
- Beat on high until light and fluffy.
These were awesome. I was thinking of how beautiful they looked so beautiful while I was making them. Im glad I messed up the frosting because without them, these things were really really sweet. I'd probably knowck the sugar back down to 1 cup if I make these again. Thank you so much these were very very moist and reminded me of a firmer version of flourless chocolate cake. They were incredibly rich and Im pretty much set on one. Again, awesome recipe!
After three attempts I think I've finally got it just right for my family. I subbed 1/4 c. applesauce and 1/4 c. oil for the shortening, reduced the sugar by a 1/2 c. and did 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites. Final cooking time was 20 minutes and they were perfect!!! Thank you so much for a brownie recipe that everyone loves no matter how many times in a row I make them!
My favorite brownie! Both the icing and the brownie are excellent. I made the brownies with all butter and with instant espresso instead of instant coffee and they came out fine. I did find the icing to be a bit sweet (this may be bc I had to use almond extract instead of vanilla), so I sprinkled some instant espresso on top and that really balanced the flavors. Another note about the icing: it is very heat sensitive, so you may want to put them in the fridge to get it to set, and if you are traveling in a warm car, you might want to have them in a cooler so the icing doesn't run.