I love this recipe because it is easy to mix up, I usually have everything on hand and they taste woooonderful. The frosting is optional.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a 13x9 inch pan.
- Melt shortening and butter over low heat or in the microwave.
- Remove from heat and add cocoa, blend well.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Dissolve instant coffee in hot water and mix into creamed mixture.
- Add eggs one at a time, beat well, by hand, after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla, flour, and salt.
- DO NOT OVER BEAT!
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- For frosting, cream butter and vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar and mix in well on medium speed.
- Dissolve instant coffee in milk and add to mixture.
- Beat on high until light and fluffy.