Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Brownies with a kick! These are quick to prepare and i find that the coffee and chocolate enhance each other.
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine
- 78.07 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4.92 ml instant coffee granules
- 2 eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 158.51 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts (optional)
- 44.37 ml butter or 44.37 ml margarine
- 473.18 ml confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 29.58-44.37 ml milk
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- Brownies: In a medium sauce pan combine granulated sugar, butter, cocoa powder, and instant coffee.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until butter melts.
- Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Beat lightly by hand to combine.
- Be careful not to over mix.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in walnuts if you are using them.
- Spread the batter into a greased (9x9x2 in) baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 24 minutes, or until set.
- Cool pan on a rack.
- Frosting: In a mixing bowl beat butter until fluffy.
- Add cocoa powder.
- Gradually add 1 c.
- of the confectioners sugar and beat well.
- Slowly beat in 2 tbs of the milk and the vanilla.
- Slowly beat in remaining sugar.
- Beat in additional milk, if necessary, to make the frosting spreading consistancy.
- Once brownies are cooled, spread frosting over brownies.
- Cut into bars.
Turned out very good but would like more coffee flavor so may add more next time.
VERY good ! I also used instant espresso, and included 2 TBSP BLACK cocoa -- made them dark rich and yummy. Had a Senior Moment when I started and had melted TWO sticks of butter, but had already stirred in the sugar, so just increased everything and made 2 batches. Did not use icing -- just topped with powdered sugar. Will be making these again soon.Thanks for posting, Kleigh.
Yum, we loved these! I made as written except instead of using instant coffee granules I used instant espresso granules for a stronger coffee flavor. In the ingredient list for the frosting there's no cocoa amount listed, but I used about a 1/4 cup. Thanks for sharing your recipe we'll enjoy again! :)