Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Rich brownies with a hint of coffee flavor
Make and share this Mocha Brownies recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄8 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- Melt 1 cup butter + 1 cup unsweetened cocoa in sauce pan over low heat (it's easier to almost melt the butter first and then add the cocoa).
- Remove from heat and add 2 cups sugar, 4 large eggs, 1 cup flour, 1 cup chopped nuts (I use walnuts), 1 teaspoons vanilla and 1/4 teaspoons salt.
- Spread over buttered 9 x 13 pan. Bake 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Test with toothpick in center until almost clean.
- Let brownies cool.
- Melt 3/4 stick butter and 1/2 cup cocoa. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup boiling water with 1 heaping teaspoons instant coffee. Add 2 cups confectioner's sugar. Beat until smooth. You can use a whisk. Add more sugar or more water to get good consistency (not too thick and not too runny). Spread on cooled cake and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Note: You do not need to use beaters for the brownie recipe. I wooden spoon or a rubber spatula will work well.
I cut the recipe in half, skipped the nuts (DH won't eat them) and used Splenda for the sugar. I got 10 soft, delicious and so satisfying brownies. I felt the same as Muffin, that no extra sugar (or in my case Splenda) was needed. DH and I each had one for dessert this evening, yummmm. Made for PAC, Spring 2014.
Okay, so this might be the coffee in the frosting talking, lol, but I think these might be the fudgiest brownies in the known universe! SO good! I omitted the nuts, just because that's what I usually do (didn't miss 'em one bit!). I had contemplated tossing a handful of chocolate chips in the brownie batter to replace the nuts, but I'm kinda glad that I didn't -- they might have been too much here. The 25 minute bake time was perfect, and the consistency of the frosting part was fine without adding any extra 10x sugar or liquid. A keeper for sure, thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 2014